Chili and Chili-mac

Man, the past few weeks have been a whirlwind. My daughter's birthday was a couple weekends ago… more on that another time!



Then there was an awesome 24-hour memorial run…




And then there was literally spending two entire days prepping for this kids consignment sale, that is not-so-fun to prep for, but man, is it worth it… I volunteered 4 hours to help set up the sale, and then we get to shop it early before the public! And look at all these summer clothes I got the girls for an insanely awesome deal!



Oh, and this is my usual campout spot, while doing my unending homework, which is where I happen to be camping out right now too!


(Yes, in that photo, you can see one of my horribly bad vices that I'm struggling to give up… soda! I DID however put a box of Diet Mountain Dew into my cart at Costco the other day, when it was $3 off… and then turned around and put it back and said "Once I run OUT of what is already at home? That's it… I'm OUT!" So…. I'm workin' on it….) 

ANYways… you're probably wondering. This is great, Stace, what's your point of all this? Well, my POINT is… that the LAST thing I have wanted to do is cook. Or do anything remotely healthy, for that matter. My gym visits have actually been struggling too; I need to snap out of it… But again, I digress. But Sunday afternoon, on Day 2 of my "sitting on the couch, pinning and tagging JBF sale kids clothes and toys," I had spent about 3 hours convincing myself that we were ordering pizza. It was easy, it's all I had time for, and that is that. I was going to do it, despite all the pep talks I have been giving myself lately, on how I am going to get back to less sugar, and quit all that white sugar and white flour stuff… again. I've done it before and know it's possible, but you know how it goes… So anyways, when it actually came time to order dinner, I do what I do almost daily (For real, I do this daily), of how it really isn't a good idea, and there is always so much added junk to take out, and my inner-super-cheap heart didn't want to spend the $24 on this crappy food anyways. 

So lucky for me, although my husband is deployed, I have not quite figured out how to cook LESS food, so lots of it goes into the freezer for another time. So I do a quick search, and found some chili I made a few weeks ago, with ground chicken breast, black beans, diced tomatoes, and diced sweet potatoes… (which was delicious, by the way, my first time ever trying out the sweet potatoes! Originally I had stuffed this chili in some red peppers…) Anyways, I also found some frozen cooked spaghetti squash. And dinner was found. Chili-mac, veggie style. You've all had chili-mac growing up right? It is what you always have a couple days after you eat chili? You just make spaghetti, and wah-lah! A brand new dish. But swapping and using some spaghetti squash gets you some more vitamins and goodness and all that. Here comes another sexy shot of my fancy bowl of food, much like the oatmeal photo….


That was actually the NEXT day, when I had leftovers of leftovers… Like I said, I cook entirely too large of portions… But that's ok. Because it was delicious, all ten times. So you should make it!

This recipe is based off the Better Homes and Garden's chili, found here

Chicken Chili:

1 lb ground chicken breast
1 chopped red pepper
1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
1 small onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 15 oz can tomato sauce
1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/4 tsp ground black pepper

Also, to cook a spaghetti squash, cut in half, longways, scoop out seeds, lay in shallow dish with an inch of water and bake at 425 degrees for 30-40 minutes. Then use a fork to break up the "noodles." That's it!
I mixed the squash and chili together and toss some parmesan cheese on top! This is another easy "crock-pot meal," where you can toss in all those chili ingredients and leave it be, for the day, so it'll be ready when you are! Double it to get crazy leftovers like we do and you'll be pizza-free! Hooray!

Talk soon!
Stacy

Comments