Making a house a home

Just a little preface... this was written on Sunday!! 

A lot can be done in six months. My husband left on June 6. Our youngest daughter wasn't even crawling when he left... and now she's walking. She went from zero teeth to 8. (And 1/2... ;-). It's utterly wild to think about. 


 I'm so proud of my husband. He makes a sacrifice that I, selfishly, could never imagine doing. He is a good man. He is a thoughtful and humble person. He's the type of guy that does his job, does it well, and does it because he loves it. He doesn't look for praise or an 'atta boy', but also, sincerely appreciates it if he gets one... and he's the type of guy that would be embarrassed that I'm even talking about him... 


So I shall stop. I'm going off course anyways! 


He's coming home in less than a week and my girls and I are so happy. The four of us have continued to be a strong family while he has been gone, but there is no better feeling than when we are actually all together. The girls have done a lot of growing these six months, and I've done my best to run the household. A big amount of my "downtime" has been spent making our house into more of a home. I love decorating and design, but I also love a good bargain, as well as being crafty. I'm not one of those wives that just wants to spend all the money on extravagant things; I just want to make it comfortable and warm. I want my husband to come home to a place that greets him with familiarity. I've put up a lot of photos and drawings. I've added pillows and drapes and textures to make it comfy. And Saturday evening... (while standing in the kitchen, waiting for the washer to stop spinning, so I could throw the clothes in the dryer...) I was just looking around the room and it made me smile. It felt like home. And I can't lie, I feel like the glow of white Christmas lights always makes things feel more... magical. But I was proud. And it's not about trying to impress others with anything I've ever done, I'm not looking for compliments or approval from anyone. If anything, most people probably think the ideas I have are odd or things they would never do. And that's cool with me; I just get these thoughts sometimes and I run with it... 


 And with that being said, here are a few small projects that I have been wanting to do for a while and can now check off my infinite list! I've been trying to check off as many of these projects as I can the past couple weeks, and that way, when he gets home, we can just relax and have fun as a family in our home.. Yay! It's so exciting....



This is above the fridge. It was empty space. I may as well utilize it! It's perfect because I use my cookbooks pretty often. And I have a stool next to my fridge anyways; my oldest always has to "help" me in the kitchen! (And just an FYI, I have a project for those letters... they're not done!! hehe)




(See? She is an excellent helper!) Up ahead is our front "entrance," which is pretty much JUST enough space for the front door to open... but this mirror that I made a few years ago has just been leaning against the wall for the two years that we've lived here. So some picture wire and a hook, and done. It's up! I got the two little shelves from ikea (read: inexpensive!). The tall branch-ishes or twigs or whatever were from Hobby Lobby, $6. The little metal container was from the $1 section at Target. Well, technically it was the $2.50 section... and like I said, I made the mirror from an old mirror and old oak flooring and some grout. So, for around 25 or so bucks? A new entrance!




There are many other projects I've been working on, but I'll save them for another day!! And I leave you with this photo. My oldest daughter, Gracyn, enjoys building snowmen. hehe. This is her "snowman" made of my water cup, her milk cup, and a watch from her kids meal at chik-fil-a. Stack them up and BAM, a snowman!! I love her imagination!!!




And with that... Have a great week!!

Comments