My zucchini cookies

There have been a few people requesting my recipe for some cookies I make, I figure I may as well post it, for all to see... I haven't made them in a while, but I'd experimented with many different versions and this one was worthy of writing down...

Now I know some people probably wonder if my blog is really just about food or what's my point of my rambling and why it's called "Just another mom"...  There are many moms out there with blogs of organization or cooking or coupons or whatever... they're endless. For me, this is just a way to try and be a good mom. And that can end up being pretty random. (And in all honesty, this is another way for my husband to maybe feel like he's still part of everything and not missing out on the day to day stuff).

But a big important part of my life and something that I find extremely important for my family, is eating better. I've said before "It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle." I try not to eat many processed foods and limit the "white ingredients." I want to be healthy for my kids and I want them to see that eating healthy "clean" foods is a better choice than frozen entrees and energy drinks. My husband I have MAJOR sweet... teeth... And missing out on the "good stuff" like cookies and ice cream isn't the way I want to live. So I like to experiment when baking and cooking and create healthier versions of our favorites. And some may question a few of my recipes, still including butter or oil or whatever, but I said healthiER... and I didn't say eat the whole batch of cookies... but my biggest concern is the intake of sugar that most people have. It is INSANELY out of control... but maybe that's for a later date.

 (And by the way, I just bought an ice cream maker! Yay!)

So ANYways... here is my recipe for Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies! ;-)

preheat to 350 degrees

Ok, so to start off: if you want fluffier "muffin-ish" cookies and a little healthier use
1/2 stick butter softened and 1/2 unsweetened apple sauce
 --or--
if you want more actual "cookie" cookies then use
1 stick butter softened

Mix with 1/2 c sweetener, last time I used Sun Crystals, but that is half sugar cane and half stevia.
A better choice would be 100% stevia or I like to use xylitol, which is a sugar alcohol. I don't use splenda, if you do, you should look up the dangers of it and the fact that there is chlorine in it... :-(

Add:
1/2 c pureed zucchini
1 large egg white
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
vanilla extract, I don't measure, but maybe about 1 tsp. Sometimes I use both vanilla and almond extract but that's all up to you!
1 tsp baking soda
Mix all of these ingredients and then add:
1 c oats
1 c whole wheat flour
1/2 bag of sugar-free chocolate chips, sweetened with sugar alcohol, not splenda
1/2 c walnuts--optional (it IS the most beneficial nut when it comes to nutrients and all that!)

I use a small ice cream scoop for each cookie. My oven is terrible, it takes about 10 minutes for the cookies to bake. I'd check your cookies at 8 minutes and go from there. I can't wait to get a better oven... some day.

I hope these are as big a hit in your house as they are at ours and all the parties I've taken them to!
P.s. Let them taste them and THEN tell them there is zucchini in them... they'd never guess it...

Anybody else have any great cookie recipes to share? Post them and I'll see about trying to make them a little healthier! AND delicious!  ;-)

Comments

  1. Excellent recipe, definitely going to try! Do you use whole wheat pastry flour? I just bought some online because I couldn't find it in stores, but it is the best. Especially in cookies and muffins. What kind of ice cream maker did you buy? I have been wanting to buy one because Clean Eating magazine has lots of great homemade ice cream recipes. I don't mind all the food talk, it's my favorite topic ;) I also think a big part of being a good mom is setting a good example with healthy and balanced eating. So keep them coming! =) Krusti

    ReplyDelete
  2. Krusti!! ;-) -- That is my love; experimenting with flours! That is one bonus to living here vs. Illinois, where I couldn't find ANYthing I normally buy here... I've got ww, ww pastry flour, spelt flour, oat flour, brown rice flour, buckwheat flour... lol. I bought the cuisinart uh.. something 30... the stainless steel one... It is awesome and super easy to use and most importantly CLEAN! I was deciding between that and the attachment for the kitchenaid, but I'd used that at my parents and the only drawback was pouring the liquid in while its on the stand is a little awkward and messy if you don't get it right... I made vanilla bean ice cream yesterday, another recipe I took ten different tries before getting something I find D-LISH! I'll post it soon! And ps... I LOVE love LOVE Clean Eating magazine! It's awesome! I made some strawberry and lemon cupcakes a couple days ago... although I still find myself changing the recipes to make them better, less sugar, etc... haha. I can't help it. Every time I tell myself I am going to follow a recipe, halfway through I find myself substituting. But that's part of the fun! ;-) Are you able to find sucanat? They use that a lot in the mag, I've noticed! It's pretty good, I've used it a couple times...
    If you come across any awesome recipes that you've tried and I may have missed, let me know! I heart eating... haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool! Clearly I need to branch out with my flours :) I love Clean Eating magazine, I haven't made one recipe from there that I have not liked. I haven't been able to find Sucanat anywhere, but I have been noticing it a lot and I wondered what the heck it was. I am going to have to venture from the Burbs to find some ingredients guess. I have been looking at the Cuisinart ice cream maker, it seems like the best. I also want the popsicle maker from Wiliams-Sonoma, a fondue pot, a tea infuser pitcher... the list is endless and my kitchen is tiny! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment